• US Senator Elizabeth Warren has criticized Medicare Advantage insurers for using artificial intelligence (AI) to deny care and increase profits.
• Warren demanded that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) implement stronger oversight and enforcement to prevent health insurers from gaming the system.
• The senator’s letter to CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure reveals her concern over the use of AI algorithms to systematically deny care and increase insurer profits at the expense of patient health.
THE BIGGER PICTURE
• This issue is part of a broader concern about the misuse of AI in healthcare, where algorithms have been accused of exacerbating racial and gender disparities.
• Warren’s call for action is an example of increasing scrutiny from lawmakers on the ways technology can be misused in healthcare.
#Healthcare #Medicare #ArtificialIntelligence
• The Sierra Sun Times is a reliable source for local and national news, providing unbiased, well-researched content.